We’re hiring a Copywriter to join Big Duck—a collaborative, equity-focused team of nonprofit communications consultants. They will lead and collaborate on branding, campaign, and marketing projects, delivering strong written solutions that reflect an understanding of each nonprofit’s unique context, mission, and capacity.
The Copywriter role is a mid-level position on the Big Duck team, asking 2–5 years of relevant or equivalent experience and requiring independent work and substantial skill. Big Duck has transparent salary bands documented for all staff to review; the range for mid-level positions is $50,000–$70,000 (depending on experience level). For the experience level we’re expecting in this role we are offering a salary range of $55–65,000.
Big Duck is a 25+ year old firm that helps nonprofits use communications to advance their mission. We’re a woman-owned business that celebrates equity, diversity, and inclusiveness on our team, with our clients, and among our partners. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA, and/or gender non-conforming to apply.
Here’s some of what the job includes:
- Naming (for both nonprofit organizations and programmatic initiatives)
- Concepting strategic and creative short-form copy, such as taglines, campaign slogans, and elevator pitches)
- Writing and editing long-form messaging (which may include vision/mission/values statements, key and persuasive messaging platforms, boilerplate, and more)
- Developing and implementing concepts and materials for a variety of nonprofit campaign projects, including fundraising, awareness, and capital campaigns (which may include writing and editing case statements, donor emails, ads, and more)
- Leading and participating in client meetings, interviews, and training workshops with an emphasis on inclusion.
- Supporting Big Duck’s marketing, which includes contributing to Big Duck’s content (e.g., by writing blog posts, recording podcasts, co-leading webinars, and beyond), periodically drafting or reviewing proposal content, and participating in presentations with prospects.
- Advancing Big Duck’s antiracist work by engaging in ongoing racial justice competency-building workshops, participating in internal equity meetings, and bringing a focus on antiracism to client work and with colleagues.
The Copywriter reports to the Creative Director.
Our ideal hire will have agency or consultancy experience and would have some familiarity with nonprofit communications, marketing, and/or fundraising (in-house, as a freelancer, or through an agency). We’re looking for someone with a commitment to antiracism as well as the competencies to advance racial justice and equity in their work.
Big Duck has recently transitioned to a fully remote workplace, and we’re developing long-term policies to support remote work. We are seeking applications from candidates anywhere in the continental United States who are able to work full time on a flexible schedule and can collaborate in real time and be available for client meetings between the hours of 11am and 5pm ET. Once it is safe to travel and meet in person, periodic travel will be required for client and staff meetings in New York City and elsewhere in the U.S.
Ideal candidates will be available to start in November 2021. Please note that this job posting will be live through most of September 2021, and applications will be taken on a rolling basis. We will not begin contacting candidates until mid-to-late September. The application process will include 2–3 video interviews by Zoom, a paid exercise (you will be compensated for your time) in which you will be asked to develop work for a sample project, and reference checks.